Volunteering is a terrific way to hand back to some neighborhood and enjoy a cost-free, local destination. It’s vital that you volunteer for the best reasons, and very carefully select a company, as some programs do more damage than good.
Trustworthy volunteer agencies:
- Red Mix
- Doctors Without Borders (Medicins Sans Frontiers)
Some quick tips about volunteering ethically:
- Get it done because you need to, and also have a set of skills to provide that is required
- Make sure the project is sustainable and it is benefitting the city (e.g. isn’t creating a community determined by outdoors help. For example, getting people from other countries building schools For any community if this could employ residents rather isn’t a sustainable approach)
- Don’t just volunteer to visit for “free”, get it done because you are interested within the project/community!
6. House swap
Want to visit somewhere free of charge, remain in a local’s home, and also have your house cared for while you’re gone? A house swap is a superb chance to locate someone inside a country you need to visit and just do that. Simply exchange homes with someone (you have to align your holiday dates first), and switch up!
House swap websites:
- Love Home Swap
- Home Exchange
- Home for Exchange
7. Work abroad / Farm stay
Are you prepared to place your hands to operate in return for free accommodation? This method works more effectively for extended journeys (e.g. a couple of days or even more), but could provide unique possibilities to work on yachts, vineyards, breweries, local farms, and much more.
Sources for working abroad worldwide
- Goodfood Jobs
- WWOOF (Worldwide Possibilities on Organic Farms)
8. Camp or RV/Campervan
Driving a motorhome across Japan? A campervan in the Aussie Outback? Tent camping in Europe? Thinking about non-traditional ways to explore an overseas place can’t only help you save big bucks, but offer a unique mode of travel.
A fast search on the internet may reveal local camping sites (which could often even be free), campervan/RV companies, or perhaps RV relocations.
Sources for camping and RVing:
- Must-pack essentials for a car trip
- How to locate $1/day RV relocations worldwide
- FreeCampsites.internet (listing of free campsites)
- Frugal RV Travel (tips about cheap RVing)
Searching after someone’s home and/or pets is really a win-win for home proprietors and vacationers. This tactic requires some pre-planning (a minimum of for overseas sits), and you’ll have some fundamental responsibilities. That being stated, it’s a fairly easy trade to help keep a home neat and functional, in return for a totally free bed. For more information and tips, check our how-to steer on being a house sitter here.
Sources for housesitting:
- TrustedHousesitters (for locating house sits)
- Nomador (for locating house sits)
- House Carers (for locating house sits)
- How-to steer to being a house sitter in 3 simple steps
Finally, hostels are an easy way to save cash on accommodation. A private room by having an ensuite could be considerably less expensive than expensive hotels. Within our experience, hostels frequently provide better cleanliness and care than budget hotels. Don’t knock it until you check it out!
Where you can look for hostels:
Related guides & articles to cheap options to hotels:
- How you can book the least expensive hotel possible
- How you can relocate a motorhome for $1/day
- How to be a home sitter (& travel free of charge)
- How you can rent your house on AirBNB (& earn easy travel cash)
- The best listing of discussing economy services for travel
What cheap options to hotels have you ever attempted and loved (or hated!)?